Why You Need Direct Primary Care Instead Of Health Care Insurance
The Direct Primary Care (DPC) model is an innovative healthcare payment model where patients pay subscriptions to their healthcare providers directly instead of through a third-party.
Direct Primary Care (DPC) is an alternative model to the healthcare insurance system seeking at making healthcare more affordable and readily available to the public. Direct primary care is cheaper because, unlike with healthcare insurance, there is no fee-for-service payments or any kind of third party billing.
Healthcare insurance policy works like this:
- you buy a healthcare insurance policy and start paying outrageous monthly premium to the insurance company.
- when you fall sick, the policy only covers certain medical care up to a certain point and the rest is your expense.
- for the expenses covered by the healthcare insurance policy, the healthcare provider treating you must file tedious claims with your insurance company in order to get paid. The labour, time and effort required for the whole process drives up healthcare costs.
See, how not so efficient the process is to be both the insured and the healthcare service provider. The problem here is the third party, the insurance company. The insurance company sell healthcare insurance policies but does not provide the healthcare services. What if we can do away with this third party?
In comes Direct Primary Care. Through Direct Primary Care, patients receive healthcare directly without the need of insurance. Instead of paying an insurance company for a healthcare insurance policy, the person pays monthly or yearly fees directly to the healthcare provider.
The DPC model is more of a direct subscription to healthcare services provider. There is no third-party middlemen like insurance companies, which means there is less overhead costs.
Families pay their healthcare provider monthly subscriptions based on the number of people in the family. They can then be able to access all the healthcare services their provider offers.
Advantages of Direct Primary Care
The DPC model provides many benefits to the healthcare provider, such as:
- Reduction in overhead costs as healthcare providers do not have to file claims to insurance companies to get paid.
- Healthcare providers are paid more frequently.
- Healthcare providers have more time to focus on their practice and their patients reducing the number of costly medical errors.
All these benefits of DPC to healthcare providers also indirectly lead to benefits for the patients.
- DPC means lower practice costs for the healthcare providers, which in turn will make them charge their patients considerable less.
- Under the DPC model, healthcare providers have more time and attention directed to the patient which means better service for the patient.
- No third parties or Fee for Service billing ("FFS") to inflate the healthcare costs.
Though the Direct Primary Care model is common in America, it can be extended to more countries in the world. Many healthcare systems in the world are often overpriced and dysfunctional due to the existence of too many profit-driven middlemen. Direct primary care provides an innovative solution to that and many other problems.