What is combined science?
The learning area covers basic concepts in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The syllabus covers scientific concepts such as observing, recording, measuring, presentation, interpretation of data and analysis. It also imparts practical skills such as handling of apparatus, chemicals, plant and animal specimens safely and confidently.
It is assumed that learners have:
- knowledge of the content of the Science and Technology syllabus offered in Junior School
- engaged in scientific experiments
- engaged in project and cooperative work
- used measuring instruments such as rulers, thermometers, clocks and balances.
Emphasis should be placed on providing learners with practical experience so that they appreciate science as an active and exciting study. Principles of individualisation, concreteness, totality and wholeness, self-activity and stimulation should under pin the implementation of teaching/learning methods in this learning area. The following methods are suggested:
- Problem solving
- Field trips
- Cooperative learning/Group work
- Case studies/Research
- Question and Answer
- Surveys, Interviews and Report writing
- Concept mapping